Curious, Eccentric, Eclectic Musings about Life, Loves and (Most Important) Food....


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Smokin" HOT Easy Post Work Edibles

Always in search of GOOD food that falls into my definition of gourmet (my very loose interpretation is food that is not a prepackaged mix of any kind--ban all hamburger helpers--and tasty, not thrown together just to shovel into one's mouth in order to satisfy hunger), I searched the other day through my bag of tricks (recipes cut out from various magazines, etc...that I have stored i.e. shoved in a drawer for perusal someday) and found what appeared to be a tasty pasta recipe involving artichokes and chopped tomatoes.  After a few tweaks (I tweak everything), I found it to be a worthy (quick) week night meal.

I must give props to the author although I have no idea which magazine that I tore the page from.....

Recipe adapted from Heather Hayes.

Artichoke and Tomato Penne (serves 4....or 2 very hungry folks)

1lb penne pasta
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 medium onion (finely chopped....I recommend food processor)
2 6 oz. jars marinated artichoke hearts drained and finely chopped (again....get that food processor out or chop, chop, chop by hand)
2 14 1/2 oz fire roasted tomatoes with garlic (do not drain)
1 tbsp italian seasoning (or a mixture of oregano and basil)
pinch of red pepper flakes (adjust for heat....a little goes a long way folks)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions (al dente)

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium to low heat and add onions and garlic (saute about 3 minutes).  Add artichokes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Add tomatoes and juice and cook 5 minutes while stirring.  Remove from heat and add italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Stir in cooked pasta and serve immediately.  Top each serving with freshly grated parmesan cheese.


Hint:  next time, I might saute a few shrimp in olive oil, fresh garlic and a little basil and add to the past.

Include a BIG salad, garlic bread and enjoy....I might also add that a glass of Wente Shorthorn Canyon Syrah complements the meal well....


By the way, the salad is a mixture of greens, strawberries, mandarin oranges, goat cheese and chopped glazed walnuts....topped with a raspberry balsamic vinagrette (recipe provided in earlier posts).  This is really, really....REALLY good....now ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great weeknight meal! I'm always on the lookout for new pasta recipes and different ways to make salad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete