Curious, Eccentric, Eclectic Musings about Life, Loves and (Most Important) Food....


Monday, February 8, 2010

Cool Views out the Front Windshield

So....my husband and I went to the cheese farm this weekend....yes, THE CHEESE FARM.  Where the heck is the cheese farm....where else, but Elberta, AL.  A place that if you blink, you miss your turn.  Really....our mission was to find some decent seafood and a cold beer--I wanted to check out a place in Magnolia Springs, AL (another spot that if you blink....no actually sneeze, you will miss it) called Jesse's (check out the website http://www.jessesrestaurant.com/).  So actually the cheese farm was simply ON THE WAY.

A quick turn off of hwy. 98 takes us down a long road, past a gaggle (I know cows don't form a gaggle, but trust me, this was a gaggle) of cows and another turn down a dirt road to THE CHEESE FARM (hence the picture).

 
Such a busy little place....only open on Fri and Sat 10-5.  We head to the front door of a tiny, one room general store.....open the door and ahhhhhh the smell of fresh cheese (not a good smell....trust me), but soon the smell dissipates and we are faced with 30 - 40 different kinds of cheese (all local, home grown goodness).  The proprieters will let you sample and taste anything you like (I asked my husband what they would do if we just stopped in and tried everything then said thanks and left.....probably not cool). 

I made my choices and pulled out my AMEX, but of course, cash or check only.  The conversations going on between the owners and the other guests can only be described like the Alec Baldwin skit from Saturday Night Live (Schwetty Balls....catch the rerun sometime).  I felt like I was in some small town in Vermont rather than in the middle of nowhere in S. Alabama (but totally worth the experience).



Clutching my little brown sack, full of the best the cheese farm has to offer, we head out to find that cold beer.  We drive about 30 minutes further West on Hwy. 98 and pass the one road to anywhere in Magnolia Springs (the road to Magnolia River, where mail is still delivered by boat--only place in the U.S.).  After a quick u-turn, we find our pot of gold (or mug of golden barley hops) at a place called Jesse's.



A couple of Stellas (in cold, frosty mugs) and one hamburger, one grilled tuna sandwich AND the best homemade onion rings ever.....

Then....we explored the area a little more....beautiful ancient oaks and old Southern shotgun style houses....


What did you see through your windshield this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment